New guidelines restricting the use of ACP and EPS cladding
Clarifying Minister’s Guideline MG-14: Issue of building permits where building work involves the use of certain cladding products
The VBA will closely monitor compliance with the Minister’s Guideline MG-14.
- applies to mid-range ‘Fire Retardant’ products (i.e. “30% polyethylene or greater” not “greater than 30%”). This includes, but is not limited to the following products:
- Alucobond Plus
- Alpolic FR
- Vitrabond FR
- Larson FR
- Cladex FR, and
- Nu-Core FR.
- applies to products that have a CodeMark Certificate of Conformity or Building Regulations Advisory Committee (BRAC) accreditation (i.e. these require a determination by the Building Appeals Board)
- applies, notwithstanding the concessions of Specification C1.1 clauses 3.10 and 4.3 (i.e. these require a determination from the Building Appeals Board).
Section 10 of the Building Act 1993 does not apply.
- Fire performance of external wall and cladding – Australian Building Codes Board advisory note
- Industry Alert: External walls and BCA compliance – VBA
- Fire safety guideline for external walls – A guide for high-rise construction in Australia – CSIRO
- VBA's External Wall Cladding Audit Report (2016)
- Post-Incident Analysis for Lacrosse Docklands – Metropolitan Fire Brigade
- Amendment to balcony sprinkler protection regulations – VBA fact sheet
- Suitability of materials for construction purposes – VBA fact sheet
- External wall cladding systems – VBA fact sheet
- Fire Performance Requirements of Volumes One and Two of the National Construction Code Series – VBA Practice Note 2014-37
- Building product accreditation – VBA website
- VBA letter to registered building surveyors (4 November 2013)