Certificate of consent

A certificate of consent is a written approval from the Building Practitioners Board that enables you to obtain a building permit and carry out domestic building work as an owner-builder on your own land.

You will be required to pay a statutory fee of $96.18 when you submit an application for a certificate of consent. The fee is non-refundable, regardless of the outcome of the application.

Remember, you can only submit an application if you intend to live in the building upon completion of the building work.

If you wish to be an owner-builder, and the value of the proposed building work is more than $12,000 (including labour costs and materials) you will need to apply for a certificate of consent.

To apply:

  1. Download the owner-builder application kit.
  2. Read and complete the application form and statutory declaration contained in the Owner-builder Application Kit.

    Note: Make sure you consult with your building surveyor to determine the correct description of building work before submitting your application.
  3. Tear out the completed application form and statutory declaration.
  4. Attach the application fee of $96.18
  5. Attach a copy of a current driver's licence or passport (as proof of identity).
  6. Attach a copy of a Certificate of Title or Register Search Statement (visit www.landata.vic.gov.au for more information) and Plan of Subdivision.
  7. Send or drop off the completed application and any supporting documents, to:

By mail:

Building Practitioners Board
PO Box 536
Melbourne VIC 3001

In person:

Victorian Building Authority
Goods Shed North
733 Bourke Street
Docklands VIC 3008

Check your application is complete and all required documents are provided before submitting it. Incomplete applications may be returned or delayed.

If you drop off your application in person, please be aware that we will not be able to copy documents on your behalf.