Owner-builder duties and responsibilities
- Becoming an owner-builder
- Owner-builder duties and responsibilities
- Owner-builder eLearning assessment
- White Card / Construction Induction Training
- What happens after you apply?
- Owner-builder public register
3. Owner-builder duties and responsibilities
Owner-builders have a number of important duties and responsibilities. These include, but are not limited to:
- Obtaining and complying with a building permit;
- Arranging for the certification of completed work and ensuring that the work is compliant with Australian standards;
- Ensuring site and worker safety;
- Rectifying any defective building work;
- Ensuring appropriate insurance policies are in place.
It is important that owner-builders have a thorough understanding of these duties and responsibilities.
Before applying to the VBA for a certificate of consent to become an owner-builder, you should download the Owner-builder information and study guide. This document outlines the key information about being an owner-builder including your duties and responsibilities as an owner-builder. It sets out the steps you must take to become an owner builder, including the requirement to undertake a knowledge assessment.