A building advice and conciliation service is available to help you prevent and resolve disputes related to building defects or domestic building contracts.
If your complaint relates to any of the above, please contact the VBA for advice or assistance.
If you are concerned about a practitioner's conduct, or their ability to carry out a function, discuss it with the practitioner directly first.
If you're not satisfied with their response, or do not wish to consult with them further, you can contact the VBA for advice or assistance.
In some cases, your concerns may fall outside the VBA's jurisdiction. The following guide will help you direct your complaint to the right place:
- Disputes relating to the application, compliance or effect of any provision of the Building Regulations 2006 should be made to the Building Appeals Board.
- Complaints about architects should be made to the Architects Registration Board of Victoria: (03) 9417 4444 or email@example.com
- If you have a complaint or concern about a building project near your property, contact the relevant building surveyor appointed to that project — their details can be obtained from your local council.
- For assistance with contractual disputes where compensation or monetary loss is being pursued in relation to the building or plumbing work, contact Consumer Affairs Victoria or the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
- If you have made a complaint to the VBA and are not satisfied with the outcome, you may request a review from the VBA or lodge a complaint with Ombudsman Victoria.
- Allegations of fraudulent or corrupt behavior by the VBA can be made to the VBA's Protected Disclosure Coordinator, Ombudsman Victoria or the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC) . For more information see the VBA's Protected Disclosure Policy.
- Allegations of fraudulent or corrupt behavior by the BAB and BPB can be made to Ombudsman Victoria or the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC).
- Allegations of fraudulent or corrupt behavior in the building and plumbing industries can be made to the Victoria Police.