Practitioner disciplinary register
You can search the disciplinary record of registered building practitioners in Victoria.
The Practitioner Disciplinary Register lists:
- registered practitioners who have been found guilty of misconduct by the Victorian Building Authority (VBA)
- details of any penalties imposed
- the suburb or town in which the conduct took place.
Any determinations listed in the register were either not appealed, or appealed but subsequently affirmed or varied by the Building Appeals Board (BAB) prior to 1 July 2013, or the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) from 1 July 2013.
The register does not show:
- information about current inquiries or investigations
- any other complaints made against the practitioner, such as cases involving disputes at VCAT or reported to Consumer Affairs Victoria.
Search the register: Practitioner Disciplinary Register
What should I do if my building practitioner is on the register?
You may wish to consider a range of factors when choosing a building practitioner, in addition to their disciplinary history. These may include:
- personal recommendation
- evidence of work quality
- professional status; and
- your own judgment of their character.
Decide what is important to you and do your research, so that you can be comfortable with the choice you make.