Practitioner Sanction Register
You can search the disciplinary record of registered building practitioners in Victoria.
The Register has two parts. One part of the Register relates to the decisions of the Building Practitioner's Board (BPB) (and from 1 September 2016, the VBA) following an inquiry into the conduct, or ability to practise, of a registered practitioner. The second part of the Register relates to the decisions of the VBA under the new disciplinary process, the show cause process, which commenced on 1 September 2016.
The Practitioner Sanction Register lists:
- registered building practitioners who have had a decision made under the Building Act, after an inquiry into their conduct, or ability to practise, has been conducted been found guilty of misconduct by the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) (formerly the BPB)
- registered building practitioners who have had disciplinary action taken against them under the Building Act after a show cause notice has been issued to them by the VBA
- details of any decision to impose a disciplinary sanction or take disciplinary action (including, but not limited to, fines or periods of suspension) penalties imposed
- the suburb or town in which the conduct took place.
Any determinations listed in the Register were either not appealed, or appealed but subsequently affirmed or varied by the Building Appeals Board (BAB) prior to 1 July 2013, or the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) from 1 July 2013.
The Register does not show:
- information about current inquiries or investigations
- any other complaints made against the practitioner, such as cases involving disputes at VCAT or those reported to Consumer Affairs Victoria.
Search the Registers:
What should I do if my building practitioner is on the register?
You may wish to consider a range of factors when choosing a building practitioner, in addition to their disciplinary history. These may include:
- personal recommendation
- evidence of work quality
- professional status; and
- your own judgment of their character.
Decide what is important to you and do your research, so that you can be comfortable with the choice you make.