Terminating the appointment of a private Building Surveyor
Sometimes it becomes necessary to change building surveyors before a project is complete.
In most cases, you must obtain written consent from the VBA in order to terminate a private building surveyor's appointment. This needs to happen before a new building surveyor can be appointed (under section 81 of the Building Act 1993).
Note: the VBA does not have the authority to terminate the appointment of a municipal building surveyor.
Applying for consent from the VBA:
The VBA will only consent to terminating the appointment of a private building surveyor if the reasons provided are in accordance with the Building Act 1993.
Simply disagreeing with the decision of a building surveyor is not sufficient grounds for termination. There must also be no indication of a dispute between the owner and the building surveyor.
Consent may be granted if:
- the building surveyor is no longer registered
- the building surveyor has retired or become insolvent
- the owner intends to transfer the functions of the relevant building surveyor to a municipal building surveyor
- the building surveyor has left the employment of the company that is providing the building surveying service
- the original owner sold the property to a new owner before the commencement of building work at the property
- the building surveyor is no longer capable of carrying out their functions (i.e. due to chronic illness
- there is a legal action between the owner or agent and the building surveyor that may prevent the building surveyor from properly carrying out his or her functions under the Act
- the building surveyor has passed away.
Complete the application form below:
Application to terminate the appointment of a private building surveyor
Victorian Building Authority
GPO BOX 536
MELBOURNE VIC 3001
- To allow for the application to be processed within a reasonable time, remember to provide as much information at the time of submitting the application
- The processing time for one appointment or building work is 42 days, others take longer
- The owner or owner's agent or relevant building surveyor may complete the form
- A builder cannot complete this form as the owner's agent
- Inform both the outgoing and incoming building surveyor/s affected so they are aware of the situation
- Provide a written advice from the outgoing relevant building surveyor, stating he/she is willing to transfer their function to another building surveyor
- Provide written advice from the incoming relevant building surveyor stating he/she is willing to accept the transfer of function for this building work