Building registration

There are three important facts to know about building registration in Victoria.

Fact 1 – Why you need to register

You must be registered with the Building Practitioners Board in Victoria to:

  • perform domestic building work that costs more than $5,000 (including labour and materials)
  • carry out re-blocking, restumping or demolishing work, remove a home, or carry out any building work that requires a permit, regardless of cost
  • provide more than one type of building work (such as plastering and painting) that costs more than $5,000 (including labour and materials).

There are different requirements for owner-builders. You'll find a kit for owner-builders under the information for consumers.

Fact 2 – Categories of building practitioner

Victoria's Building Regulations 2006 define nine categories of building practitioner:

  1. Building Surveyor (Unlimited)
  2. Building Surveyor (Limited)
  3. Building Inspector (Unlimited)
  4. Building Inspector (Limited)
  5. Quantity Surveyor
  6. Engineer
  7. Draftsperson
  8. Erector or Supervisor (temporary structures)
  9. Builder:

Fact 3 – Apply

You must use the application forms on this website to apply for registration.