There are three important facts to know about building registration in Victoria.
Fact 1 – Why you need to register
You must be registered with the Building Practitioners Board in Victoria to:
- perform domestic building work that costs more than $5,000 (including labour and materials)
- carry out re-blocking, restumping or demolishing work, remove a home, or carry out any building work that requires a permit, regardless of cost
- provide more than one type of building work (such as plastering and painting) that costs more than $5,000 (including labour and materials).
There are different requirements for owner-builders. You'll find a kit for owner-builders under the information for consumers.
Fact 2 – Categories of building practitioner
Victoria's Building Regulations 2006 define nine categories of building practitioner:
- Building Surveyor (Unlimited)
- Building Surveyor (Limited)
- Building Inspector (Unlimited)
- Building Inspector (Limited)
- Quantity Surveyor
- Erector or Supervisor (temporary structures)
Fact 3 – Apply
You must use the application forms on this website to apply for registration.