Building registrations

Why you need to register

You must be registered with the Victorian Building Authority in Victoria to:

  • perform domestic building work that costs more than $10,000 (including labour and materials)
  • carry out re-blocking, restumping, demolishing work or remove a home, regardless of cost
  • provide more than one type of building work (such as plastering and painting) that costs more than $10,000 (including labour and materials).

There are different requirements for owner-builders. You'll find a kit for owner-builders under the information for consumers.

Categories of building practitioner

Victoria's Building Regulations 2006 define nine categories of building practitioner:

1.     Building Surveyor (Unlimited)
2.     Building Surveyor (Limited)
3.     Building Inspector (Unlimited)
4.     Building Inspector (Limited)
5.     Quantity Surveyor
6.     Engineer
7.     Draftsperson
8.     Project Manager
9.     Erector or Supervisor (temporary structures)
10.   Builder:
               a.    Commercial Builder
               b.    Domestic Builder
               c.    Demolisher