Building practitioner FAQs

Domestic Building registration

1. What are all the components for Domestic Building (Limited) work?

The following is a list of the 29 components a Domestic Builder (Limited) may be limited to carrying out, managing or arranging:

  • Attaching External Fixtures work
  • Bathroom, Kitchen or Laundry Renovation work
  • Bricklaying and Blocklaying work
  • Cabinet Making, Joinery and Stair Construction work
  • Carpentry work
  • Construction of Gates and Fences work
  • Construction of Private Bushfire Shelters work
  • Construction of Retaining Walls work
  • Construction of Shade Structures work
  • Construction of Swimming Pools and Spas work
  • Door and Window Replacement / Installation work
  • Earthworks and Excavation work
  • Erection of Poles, Masts and Antennae work
  • External Wall Cladding work
  • Floor Finishing and Covering work
  • Footing and Slabs work
  • Framing work
  • Glazing work
  • Insulation work
  • Non-habitable Building Structures work
  • Painting and Decorating work
  • Restumping and Re-blocking work
  • Roof Tiling work
  • Sheet Plastering work
  • Site Works Involved in Relocating a Dwelling work
  • Solid Plastering and Rendering work
  • Structural Landscaping work
  • Tiling (Floors and Walls) work
  • Waterproofing work

2. Is the Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) a prescribed, or equivalent, qualification for registration?

No. The Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) is NOT a prescribed qualification under the Building Regulations (2006). Nor is it recognised as an equivalent qualification under the Building Act 1993.

If you want to register as a Domestic Builder, then your course must be prescribed and accredited under the Education and Training Reform Act 2006. This requirement applies to a diploma, associated diploma or degree in Building and Construction (Building). The VBA may consider another qualification as being equivalent to a prescribed qualification.

If your qualification is not prescribed or accepted as an equivalent qualification (such as the Certificate IV), the VBA will consider it as part of its broader assessment of your knowledge and experience.

For more information about the prescribed registration qualifications and equivalent qualifications, please see 'What is Domestic Building work?'. Or you can call the VBA on 1300 815 127.

3. Is my qualification appropriate?

Schedule 7 of the Building Regulations 2006 lists the prescribed qualifications for Domestic Building registration. Many organisations offer courses, but not all courses are accredited under the Education and Training Reform Act 2006. You can find more information about accredited courses at

Remember, training is not the only requirement for registration. You must also demonstrate your experience and meet other requirements.

4. What is the difference between a Domestic Builder (Manager) and a Domestic Builder (Unlimited)?

Persons registered in the Domestic Builders (Unlimited) class:

  • may carry out all components of domestic building work themselves, and / or
  • can hire unregistered tradespeople.

Persons registered in the Domestic Builders (Manager) class:

  • must hire registered practitioners to undertake work
  • cannot carry out work unsupervised
  • can carry out work only if they are supervised by a practitioner registered in the work they are doing – for example, they cannot perform carpentry onsite unless they are supervised by a Domestic Builder (Unlimited) or a practitioner who is registered in Domestic Builder (Limited) in Carpentry work.

Persons registered in the Domestic Builder (Unlimited) or Domestic Builder (Manager) classes must recognise an issue onsite as it arises (such as defective work or noncompliance with standards):

  • A practitioner with Domestic Builder (Unlimited) registration may fix it personally, if it is covered within their scope of work.
  • But a practitioner with Domestic Builder (Manager) registration must identify the correct registered person to fix the issue.

If a Domestic Builder (Manager) is audited or inspected, they may need to provide a list of the registered practitioners employed to cover the appropriate work.

5. What does 'experience to the satisfaction …' mean?

Your experience must show you have been involved in the entire scope of work covered by the category / class in which you are applying for registration.

The majority, if not all, of your experience must be full time and must show you have been supervised by a registered practitioner.

6. Can I use my experience as an owner-builder when applying for Domestic Builder (Unlimited) or Domestic Builder (Manager) registration?

The majority of your experience must show you have been supervised by a registered practitioner who has worked on projects from start to finish.

Experience as an owner-builder can contribute only a small amount to the required experience for the category / class in which you apply for registration. It cannot be your only experience. You may not be able to show, for example, that you have experience working to deadlines, managing conditions imposed by contracts, or managing other consumer responsibilities.

7. Can I have Domestic Builder (Unlimited) or Domestic Builder (Manager) registration, but restrict it to the work that I want to do and not all of the work that the registration covers?

No. You must show you can do the scope of the work the registration entitles. If you want to do only some work components, you may prefer to apply for a different registration category / class that better suits your requirements. Or you may need to broaden your experience and knowledge to obtain full registration.

8. Does the VBA have a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) program?

No. The voluntary Continuing Professional Development (CPD) program previously administered by the Building Commission is not provided by the Victorian Building Authority (VBA). The VBA encourages building and plumbing practitioners to undertake continuing professional development to maintain the currency of their skills and knowledge, however, the VBA will not be recording their attendance or results. Practitioners may determine what training opportunities are suitable for them to participate in. Industry associations may also provide assistance with professional development programs and activities.