The internal review process is a process that gives an affected person the right to seek review of a ‘reviewable decision’ made by the VBA.
The internal review process is separate and independent from a show cause process, and is intended to provide a faster, less expensive way for a reviewable decision to be reviewed, rather than via a more formal external review function.
Under the Building Act 1993 (the Act), the term ‘reviewable decision’ means a decision:
- to refuse to grant registration
- to impose a condition on a practitioner's registration
- to refuse to renew a practitioner's registration
- to immediately suspend a practitioner's registration
- to take disciplinary action against a practitioner
- to give direction under section 205M of the Act; and
- a decision prescribed by the Building Regulations 2018 as being a decision for which a person may apply for internal review.
Show cause decision
Following notice of a reviewable decision by the VBA in relation to a practitioner's conduct, a practitioner who is dissatisfied with the reviewable decision may apply for internal review of the reviewable decision via the VBA's internal review process. A practitioner may also apply to the Victorian Civil Administrative Tribunal for review of an internal review decision made by the VBA.
- Show cause process practitioner guide
- Show cause frequently asked questions
- Internal review frequently asked questions
- Application for internal review form
- Application for extension of time to apply for internal review form
- Practitioner representation request form
- Practitioner representation extension of time request form
- Practitioner representation rescheduling request form
Under the provisions of the Act, the reviewable decisions of the VBA that affect a practitioner's registration, and which may be the subject of an internal review, are a decision to:
- refuse to grant registration
- impose a condition on a practitioner's registration
- refuse to renew a practitioner's registration
- immediately suspend a practitioner's registration.