To be licensed to carry out a class or specialised classes of plumbing work, you must have all of the following:
- be eligible to be registered in that class of plumbing work
- for some classes of specialised plumbing work, you must already be registered in certain classes
- have successfully completed the VBA's licence examination of competencies for that class of plumbing work
- be covered by the required insurance.
If you are not already registered in the class or specialised class of plumbing work in which you seek to be licensed, the VBA will assess whether you are eligible to be registered in that class. Refer to the Plumbing registration section to find out whether you are eligible to be registered.
- Units of Competency for Drainage, Gasfitting, Irrigation (Non-agricultural), Mechanical Services, Roofing, Sanitary, Type B Gasfitting and Water Supply
- Units of Competency for Fire Protection
- Units of Competency for Refrigerated Air-conditioning
- Units of Competency for Type A Appliance Conversion, Type A Appliance Servicing, Type B Gasfitting Advanced, Backflow Prevention and Thermostatic Mixing Valve
All licensed plumbing practitioners must hold a minimum level of insurance, protecting both themselves and their consumers. If you are applying for, or renewing, your licence, then you must provide the VBA with a Certificate of Currency as evidence of your insurance cover.
Ministerial Orders set out the minimum level of cover required. You may choose a higher level of cover, but these are the minimum requirements:
- For a licence, you must have the insurance prescribed in the Licensed Plumbers General Insurance Order 2002.
- For a Type B Gasfitting licence, you must have the insurance prescribed in the Licensed Plumbers Insurance Order 2002 – (see page 23–24).
- For a Private Plumbing Work Licence, you must have the insurance prescribed in the Licenced Plumbers (Private Plumbing Work) Insurance Order 2002 – (see page 13–14).
Licensed Plumbers Insurance Order 2002 (PDF, 175.01 KB)
It is an offence to work as a licensed plumber without insurance cover in the required areas.
For further information, please refer to Plumbing Insurance Requirements.