- Additional forms
- Documents you must provide
- Submit your application
- What happens after you apply
The VBA regulates plumbing practitioners, plumbing work and plumbing standards to protect the safety and health of people, and the integrity of the water supply. To uphold this objective, it registers people only if satisfied they can carry out plumbing work competently and safely.
The VBA decides whether to grant applications for registration (or provisional registration) in a class or specialised class of plumbing work. The decision is based on the assessment of your knowledge, competence, experience and character.
Remember, you cannot complete plumbing work if you are not registered, licensed (or in training under the supervision of a licensed plumber).
You need to pay $54.60 including GST to lodge your application form with the VBA. The Plumbing Registration Application Form explains how to pay this fee.
If your application is granted, you will then need to pay a registration fee. For a full list of fees, please read the Plumbing licensing and registration fees page.
Classes and specialised classes
Victoria's Plumbing Regulations 2008 define eight main classes of plumbing work, and six specialised classes. The following VBA guides explain the knowledge, skill and experience that you need for registration in each of the eight main classes:
- Drainage work (PDF, 497.11 KB)
- Fire Protection work (PDF, 509.39 KB)
- Gasfitting work (PDF, 513.88 KB)
- Irrigation (Non-agricultural) work (PDF, 520.17 KB)
- Mechanical Services work (PDF, 520.36 KB)
- Roofing (Stormwater) work (PDF, 513.74 KB)
- Sanitary work (PDF, 504.16 KB)
- Water Supply work (PDF, 506.27 KB)
Plus six specialised classes: