Before you apply, make sure you understand the qualifications and experience required for registration. The application process varies depending on your qualifications and experience.
If you do not have the required qualification and experience listed below, you will need to complete additional forms.
The two qualification requirements for registration in a class(s) of plumbing work are:
- Successful completion of one of the following courses. This must include the Approved Competency Units (PDF, 557.9 KB) for the class (or classes) of plumbing work you are seeking registration in:
- Certificate III in Plumbing
- Certificate III in Plumbing (Mechanical Services)
- Certificate III in Roof Plumbing
- Certificate III in Fire Protection
- Certificate III in Drainage
- Certificate II in Urban Irrigation
- Certificate II in (Engineering) Refrigerated Airconditioning
- Certificate III in Airconditioning and Refrigeration
- Successful completion of the VBA's registration exam (commonly referred to as "the journeyman's exam")
The experience requirements for registration in a class(s) of plumbing work are either:
- Successful completion of a plumbing apprenticeship in Australia; or
- Employment in the class of plumbing work you are seeking registration in:
- Two years of employment for Drainage and Irrigation (Non-Agricultural)
- Four years of employment for Fire Protection, Gasfitting Mechanical Services, Roofing (Stormwater), Sanitary and Water Supply.
For more information, read:
- Eligibility for main classes of plumbing work (PDF, 494.76 KB)
- Eligibility for specialised classes of plumbing work (PDF, 551.23 KB)
- Plumbing knowledge and competence table (PDF, 313.03 KB)