Before you apply, make sure you understand the qualifications and experience required for registration. The application process varies depending on your qualifications and experience.
If you do not have the required qualification and experience listed below, you will need to complete additional forms.
The two qualification requirements for registration in a class of plumbing work are:
- Successful completion of one of the following courses. This must include the Approved Competency Units for the class (or classes) of plumbing work you are seeking registration in:
- Certificate III in Plumbing
- Certificate III in Plumbing (Mechanical Services)
- Certificate III in Roof Plumbing
- Certificate III in Fire Protection
- Certificate III in Drainage
- Certificate II in Urban Irrigation
- Certificate III in Airconditioning and Refrigeration.
- Successful completion of the VBA’s registration exam (commonly referred to as “the journeyman’s exam”).
- Units of Competency for Drainage, Gasfitting, Irrigation (Non-agricultural), Mechanical Services, Roofing, Sanitary, Type B Gasfitting and Water Supply
- Units of Competency for Fire Protection
- Units of Competency for Refrigerated Air-conditioning
- Units of Competency for Type A Appliance Conversion, Type A Appliance Servicing, Type B Gasfitting Advanced, Backflow Prevention and Thermostatic Mixing Valve
The experience requirements for registration in a class of plumbing work are either:
- Successful completion of a plumbing apprenticeship in Australia; or
- Practical experience in the class of plumbing work you are seeking registration in:
- Two years of practical experience for Drainage, Type B Gasfitting and Irrigation (Non-agricultural)
- Four years of practical experience for Fire Protection, Gasfitting, Mechanical Services, Refrigerated Air-conditioning, Roofing (Stormwater), Sanitary and Water Supply.