Plumbing insurance requirements
All licensed plumbers must provide evidence to the VBA that they hold the relevant insurance before the VBA may issue or renew a plumbing licence.
It is an offence to work as a licensed plumber without insurance cover in the required areas. We recommend that you learn about your insurance needs and seek independent advice, as the VBA does not provide insurance advice.
What is the required insurance?
The required insurance is a minimum level of insurance which has been prescribed by the Victorian Government in 2 separate Ministerial Orders; however licensed persons may elect to take a greater level of insurance than that prescribed:
- Ministerial Order "Licensed Plumbers General Insurance Order" signed by the Minister on 20th June 2002 prescribes the minimum insurance required by all licensed persons (except those licensed in Type B Gasfitting).
- Ministerial Order "Licensed Plumbers (Type B Gasfitting work) Insurance Order" signed by the Minister on 20th June 2002 prescribes the minimum insurance required by all persons who are licensed in Type B Gasfitting.
Where a person is seeking to be licensed in Type B Gasfitting and any other class of plumbing, that person must have insurance which complies with both Ministerial Orders.
Ministerial Orders can be found here on the VBA website.
What does the VBA require as evidence of insurance?
Prior to the issue of a plumbing licence, VBA operators are instructed that they must receive a Certificate of Currency (not offers of insurance, or other insurance documents) which:
- Includes the name of the person who is to be licensed - as the insured (i.e. not just a company name).
- States the period of insurance (the licence can only be issued for the insured period), the name of insurer and policy number.
- Includes the notation;
- "this insurance complies with all the requirements of the Ministerial Order Licensed Plumbers General Insurance Order dated 20th June 2002", Or, in respect of Type B Gasfitting;
- "this insurance complies with all the requirements of the Ministerial Order Licensed Plumbers (Type B Gasfitting work) Insurance Order dated 20th June 2002".
It is essential for both practitioners and the public that licensed plumbers carry adequate insurance protection. Just as the public need to be protected, the assets of a licensed practitioner also need to be protected.
Please note: The Act requires that the VBA ensures that the applicant has complying insurance prior to a plumbing licence being issued.