Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) updates
To protect the health and safety of VBA staff, practitioners and the broader community, our teams are working remotely. Here's how to contact us.
Maintaining health and safety on construction sites and other premises
31 March 2020
Site inspections and media reports have confirmed that some construction sites have not implemented appropriate safety measures aimed at preventing the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).
The VBA reminds building and plumbing industry professionals that they must stay at least 1.5 metres away from other people working on site whenever possible. Social distancing will help save lives.
For more on practitioner safety and obligations and resources for managing health and safety on site, see: Maintaining health and safety on construction sites and other premises.
Stage 3 restrictions
30 March 2020
Stage 3 restrictions do not apply to the building sector and plumbing services. However, the Victorian Chief Health Officer's directions must be followed.
Construction industry best practice
29 March 2020
The Victorian Government has released a best practice for managing building and construction sites in the COVID-19 environment. This note provides guidance on reducing the spread of coronavirus within the construction industry. The industry is encouraged to review this guidance and implement appropriate measures on their construction sites. See: Best practice for managing construction sites in the coronavirus environment (PDF, 90.91 KB).
Statement from the Victorian Building Authority
23 March 2020
The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) has today received confirmation from the Victorian State Government that the stage one restrictions announced by the Premier do not apply to construction sites and plumbing services. However, the Victorian Chief Health Officer's social distancing and hygiene directions must be followed in these settings.
- Ensure a distance of 1.5 metres is kept between yourself and others.
- Wash your hands often with soap and running water, for at least 20 seconds. Dry with paper towel or hand dryer.
- Try not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. If you don’t have a tissue cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve or elbow.
- Stay at home if you feel sick. If you take medication make sure you have enough.
- Phone your doctor or the hotline – 1800 675 398 – if you need medical attention. They will tell you what to do.
- Continue healthy habits – exercise, drink water, get plenty of sleep.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser with over 60% alcohol.
As Victoria’s regulator of the state's vital building and plumbing industries, the VBA’s actions are focused on the safety of our community and the wellbeing of our people.
We are focused on business continuity as the COVID-19 situation evolves each day.
The Government's dedicated business hotline on 13 22 15 is also available for further information on how to keep your sites safe and open.