Building activity in Victoria is governed by the Building Act 1993 (the Act), which sets out the legislative framework for the regulation of building construction, building standards and the maintenance of specific building safety features.
The objectives of the Act are to:
- protect the safety and health of people who use buildings and places of public entertainment; and
- enhance the amenity of buildings.
The Building Regulations (the Regulations) generally have a 10-year shelf life when they undergo a comprehensive review to develop the succeeding set of regulations to ensure they remain fit for purpose and meet intended objectives. The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) is a key stakeholder in the review process and implementation of the Regulations.
The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) has undertaken an extensive review and consultation process, from which it, in partnership with the VBA, has developed a new set of building regulations to replace the Building Regulations 2006 and current Building Interim Regulations 2017.
On Tuesday, 20 March 2018, the Governor in Council made the regulations, enabling them to be displayed on the Government Legislation website for practitioners and other interested people to read, in preparation of their implementation on 2 June 2018.
The Regulations will affect all Victorian registered building practitioners, the various sectors within the industry in which they work and the members of the community who intend to undertake building work or have dealings in the carrying out of building work.
The Building Regulations 2018 replace the Building Regulations 2006 and the Building Interim Regulations 2017, including amendments to the consultation draft Building Regulations 2017 that were made in response to feedback in the Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS) process.
The Regulations, which come into effect from 2 June 2018, are designed to reflect the changing nature of the industry, technology, equipment and methodology to deliver a better, more effective and efficient building industry that benefits both practitioners and consumers.
The Building Regulations 2018 can be viewed or downloaded here. (Item 38 - Building Regulations 2018)
Information resources about the changes (including the Overview Brochure, Summary of Changes Regulation Finder and Notice of Decision) can be viewed or downloaded here.
Building Regulations 2018 Information sheets
Building Regulations 2018 Practice notes
- PN-20-2018 - Protection Work Process (UPDATED)
- PN-35-2018 - Time Limits for Building Work and Lapsing Building Permits (UPDATED)
- PN-37-2018 - Fire performance requirements of Vol One and Two of the National Construction Code Series (UPDATED)
- PN-59-2018 - Sprinkler Systems - Performance Solutions (UPDATED)
- PN-63-2018 - Performance Solution Procedures and Documentation (UPDATED)
- PN-69-2018 - Mandatory notification stages and inspection of building work (UPDATED)
- PN 05-2018 - Swimming Pool and Spa Safety (UPDATED)
- PN-09-2018 - Building Energy Analysis for Commercial Buildings (UPDATED)
- PN-19-2018 - Notifying Council l of Building Work (UPDATED)
- PN-24-2018 - Occupancy Permit (UPDATED)
- PN-23-2018 – Maintenance of Essential Safety Measures (UPDATED)
Building Regulations 2018 Fact sheets
- Mandatory notification stages and inspections (NEW)
- Additional requirements when determining performance solutions (NEW)
- Combined allotment determinations (NEW)
- Exemption for Class 10a buildings (NEW)
- Time limits and lapsed building permits (NEW)
- Maintenance and operation of barriers for swimming pools and spas (NEW)
For additional Practice Notes, please see the Practitioner Resources page.