Crane and people on site

Automatic Mutual Recognition

Automatic Mutual Recognition (AMR) is a national scheme allowing individuals to use their home state occupational registration to work in participating Australian states and territories.

This means that if an individual is licensed or registered in one state or territory to perform an activity, they will be able to use the same licence or registration to do the same activities in another part of Australia, subject to some exceptions. When changing states, it is not necessary to pay any fee or lodge an application.

Victoria has signed a national Intergovernmental Agreement and passed legislation to participate in the AMR scheme.

Importantly, AMR is not yet available in Victoria for building practitioners or plumbers. This means that if you are a registered or licensed building practitioner or plumber from interstate seeking to work in Victoria under AMR, you will not yet be able to do so. We will advise when a start date is confirmed later this year.

Until AMR commences for building practitioners and plumbers, interstate practitioners seeking to work in Victoria must continue to obtain a substantive Victorian registration or licence or have been approved under the existing mutual recognition scheme.

Find out more information about the mutual recognition scheme and how to apply.

Victorian practitioners who wish to practice in another state or territory under the AMR scheme should contact the relevant interstate regulator to check whether the scheme has commenced in that jurisdiction.

Building - Building Practitioners Board
Ph: (08) 8936 4082

Plumbing - Plumbing Practitioners Board
Ph: (08) 8936 4083

Gasfitting - NT WorkSafe
Ph: 1800 019 115

Builders and Plumbers - Queensland Building and Construction Commission
Ph: 139 333

Gasfitting - Resource Health and Safety Queensland
Ph: (07) 3330 4249

Engineers - Board of Professional Engineers of Queensland
Ph: (07) 3210 3100

We will update this information once a date has been announced for the commencement of AMR for building practitioners and plumbers who wish to practice in Victoria.

Contact the VBA

If you have further enquiries please email

Victorians looking to engage a builder or a plumber can visit our consumer portal.