Decorative building

Cladding FAQs


The Minister for Planning announced a prohibition (PDF, 485.37 KB) on the use of the external wall cladding products ACP and EPS for any building work in connection with buildings of Type A and Type B construction, effective 1 February 2021.

On behalf of the Victorian Government, the VBA is leading a statewide audit of:

  • apartment complexes, motels and hotels (three storeys and above)
  • buildings where Victorians gather as a large group, such as sporting areas
  • private schools, private hospitals and aged care facilities (two storeys and above).

The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning is leading an audit of government buildings in Victoria.

For information on the types of buildings being inspected by the VBA, visit our cladding audit page.

Firstly, you should speak to your owners corporation or building manager. They will know if the building has been audited, and what the results were.

If your building has not been audited, you can ask them to request building documents, such as permits and drawings, from your local council or the relevant building surveyor. This may provide additional information about the building materials used in your apartment complex.

If your building is found to have at-risk cladding, it does not necessarily mean your building is unsafe.

If your building was built after March 1997 and is three or more storeys high, it is likely your building will be assessed. Due to the number of assessments required, the VBA is unable to give an indication of when this will be. Your owners corporation will be advised before an inspection takes place, and residents will be informed on the day of the inspection.

Two-storey townhouses will not be audited by the VBA, as they are less than three storeys in height and are typically not Class 2 buildings (apartment complexes and multi-residential buildings).

As a building owner, you can request your building’s plans and drawings from your local council. You are also entitled to seek advice from a private building surveyor or fire engineer about the status of your building. Regardless of the outcome, now is a good time to review the fire safety measures in your home.

If you have concerns about the use of cladding on your building, please contact your owners corporation or building manager. You may consider seeking expert advice from a private building surveyor or fire engineer.

Yes. You should follow the MFB's fire safety advice (PDF, 808.93 KB) for balconies and high-rise apartment buildings. You should also speak with your building manager or owners corporation about fire safety and ensure your building's essential safety measures are up to date and properly maintained. Essential safety measures include fire doors, sprinklers, smoke and heat detectors, and fire hydrants.


You should receive a letter from the VBA on the day of inspection.

Prior to the inspection taking place, owners corporations and landlords will also be informed. Where possible, the VBA aims to give as much notification as possible to owners corporations – at least 48 hours.

Your owners corporation will be asked to actively inform residents about the inspections, and to provide fire safety tips for your home and balcony.

A building inspector visits your building and meets your building owner or owners corporation.

Your council's Municipal Building Surveyor or a representative may also attend.

The inspector assesses cladding from the street and inside common areas, and records the results.

The inspector may ask if they can enter your apartment to assess cladding. They will show you official identification and explain why they are requesting entry. If you agree, you will be asked to sign a form that allows the VBA inspector to enter.

A panel of experts form an advisory reference panel and review information collected during the inspection.

The panel of experts typically includes:

  • a fire safety engineer
  • a fire safety emergency expert from the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) or Country Fire Authority (CFA)
  • a building surveyor.

The experts will analyse the results and, if required, recommend steps to reduce the fire safety risk of your building.

These steps will be communicated to your owners corporation and your council’s Municipal Building Surveyor. The VBA will request that your owners corporation or building owner keeps you informed of inspection results.

This may include recommending the Municipal Building Surveyor issues notices or orders to improve the fire safety of the building.

Residents will be advised of the outcome in the weeks after the advisory reference panel is held.

If urgent actions are required following an advisory reference panel, building managers and residents will be informed immediately.


Current prohibition

The Minister for Planning announced a prohibition on the use of the external wall cladding products ACP and EPS for any building work in connection with buildings of Type A and Type B construction, effective 1 February 2021. The VBA has published an Advisory Note about the Prohibition of high-risk cladding products (PDF, 485.37 KB).

Minister’ Guideline MG-14

From 22 March 2018, where an application for building permit proposed the use of EPS or certain ACP products in an external wall system, Minister’s Guideline MG-14 (PDF, 198.81 KB) required a determination of the Building Appeals Board to confirm that the use of these products complies with the Act and the relevant building regulations. From 1 February 2021 MG-14 is revoked.

Minister’s declaration

With effect from 1 February 2021, the Minister for Planning has declared under section 192B of the Building Act 1993 (the Act), that certain high risk external wall cladding products are prohibited from use by any person in the course of carrying out any building work in Victoria in connection with a Type A or Type B construction building.

Advisory Note – Prohibition of high-risk cladding products (PDF, 485.37 KB)

Prohibited cladding products

The declaration prohibits the use of the following external wall cladding products: * aluminium composite panels (ACPs) with a core of less than 93 per cent inert mineral filler (inert content) by mass in an external cladding as part of a wall system; and * expanded polystyrene (EPS) products used in an external insulation and finish (rendered) wall system.

Read the VBA's building notices and orders (PDF, 745.16 KB) fact sheet. These may be issued on building owners as a result of the Victorian Statewide Cladding Audit.

Common fire safety measures in buildings such as apartments, hotels and hospitals include:

  • fire sprinkler systems
  • emergency warning systems
  • emergency lighting
  • emergency exit signage
  • fire isolated exit stairs
  • fire extinguishers
  • multiple exits
  • fire and smoke alarms.

The National Construction Code (NCC) is an initiative of the Council of Australian Governments that incorporates all on-site building and plumbing requirements into a single code.

The NCC specifies the minimum requirements for the design, construction and performance of buildings throughout Australia. It contains three volumes:

  • Volume One, Building Code of Australia – Class 2 to Class 9 buildings
  • Volume Two, Building Code of Australia – Class 1 and Class 10 buildings
  • Volume Three, Plumbing Code of Australia

Regulating Victoria’s building industry

Regulating Victoria’s building industry is a shared responsibility reliant on co-operation, information sharing and accountability.

  • Private building surveyors are primarily responsible for ensuring buildings are built in compliance with the building legislation, and they are safe, accessible and energy efficient. Once appointed, they are involved for the duration of the building project, issue the building permit if they are satisfied the design is compliant, carry out or organise mandatory inspections and are responsible for issuing occupancy permits or certificates of final inspection.
  • Local government has oversight of all building work and building stock within their municipality. They are responsible for addressing emergency situations. This oversight includes the use of statutory powers to ensure compliance with the Building Act 1993 (the Act).
  • The VBA has oversight of registered builders and building surveyors. It can also take disciplinary or prosecutorial action for breaches of the building legislation.

Building surveyors

A building surveyor is professionally trained in understanding the building control process. There are two types of building surveyor:

  • private building surveyors
  • municipal building surveyors.

They are responsible for assessing building plans with a view to ensuring they comply with building legislation and the National Construction Code.

A registered building surveyor is authorised to:

  • assess building permit applications for compliance with the Act, Building Interim Regulations 2017 and the National Construction Code
  • issue building and occupancy permits and certificates of final inspection
  • conduct building inspections at the mandatory notification stages
  • serve directions to fix non-compliant building work
  • serve building notices and orders under the Act.


The VBA monitors and enforces compliance with building legislation. The conduct of registered building practitioners is a primary focus. If a building surveyor does not meet certain standards, the VBA becomes involved.

The VBA has the power to:

  • bring proceedings for any offence against building legislation
  • apply for and execute search warrants
  • require the production of documents or the giving of information to determine compliance with the Act or Regulations
  • act as a municipal building surveyor in relation to any matter referred to the VBA by a private building surveyor
  • direct a municipal building surveyor or private building surveyor to carry out their functions.

Local government

Local government must appoint, employ or nominate a municipal building surveyor. The municipal building surveyor is often the first party to whom non-compliance with building legislation is reported by members of the community.

Local government has the power to:

  • administer and enforce building permits issued by the MBS
  • act in circumstances where building work without a building permit has been identified by council
  • take appropriate action where there is a known risk to health or risk of injury or death
  • receive copies of building permits, occupancy permits, notices and orders from private building surveyors and maintain a register of these matters
  • provide information as prescribed by the building regulations
  • apply for and execute search warrants
  • require the production of documents or the giving of information to determine compliance with building legislation
  • bring proceedings for offences under Part 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8 of the Act.

These products are combustible and increase the risk of a fire spreading, particularly on multi-storey buildings. This presents a risk to the safety of building occupants.

The Metropolitan Fire Brigade (now Fire Rescue Victoria) found that aluminium composite panels contributed to the rapid spread of the Lacrosse Tower fire in 2014.

Expanded polystyrene is combustible and may melt or ignite when exposed to temperatures above 100°C or an open flame.

The Minister for Planning announced a prohibition (PDF, 485.37 KB) on the use of the external wall cladding products ACP and EPS for any building work in connection with buildings of Type A and Type B construction, effective 1 February 2021.