Building for consumers

The building industry in Victoria is regulated by the Victorian Building Authority (VBA). The VBA’s purpose is to promote building practices that protect the safety and health of you, the consumer.

What you need to know about building practitioners

In Victoria, building practitioners must be registered with the Victorian Building Authority to:

  • perform domestic building work that costs more than $10,000 (including labour and materials)
  • carry out re-blocking, restumping or demolishing work, remove a home, or carry out any building work that requires a permit, regardless of cost
  • provide more than one type of building work (such as plastering and painting) that costs more than $10,000 (including labour and materials).

Make sure you engage a registered builder when you want this type of building work carried out. This will ensure your project is completed by someone with the necessary qualifications and expertise. If you engage a company to do this type of work, make sure the company is registered as a building practitioner.

All registered building practitioners (except companies) are issued with a Photo ID card that lists the type of work they are eligible to do. All practitioners should carry this ID card. Either of the ID cards shown below may be valid, depending on the practitioner’s date of registration. All practitioners registered from 1 September 2016 onwards should have a VBA-branded ID card. Practitioners registered before that date will carry a Building Practitioners Board branded card until their next annual renewal date. From 1 September 2017 only VBA branded cards will be valid.

You can also check if a builder or company is registered by using the VBA directory, Find a Practitioner.

There are different requirements for owner-builders, who require a certificate of consent to carry out building work.

building sample cardbuilding sample card

What are the regulated areas of building work?

Victoria’s Building Regulations 2018 define eight categories of building practitioner:

  1. Building Surveyor
  2. Building Inspector
  3. Quantity Surveyor
  4. Engineer
  5. Draftsperson
  6. Person Responsible for a Building Project
  7. Erector or Supervisor (Temporary Structures)
  8. Builder:
    1. Commercial Builder
    2. Domestic Builder
    3. Demolisher

Advice for building and renovating a home

Consumer Affairs Victoria has a range of helpful resources to plan and manage a domestic building project including new homes, renovations and pools.

Here are some helpful links: