Building contracts

If you are engaging a contractor to carry out domestic building work valued at over $10,000 (including materials and labour) and the project involves more than one type of work (e.g. it is not just tiling), you and your building practitioner are required to have a major domestic building contract. The contract must meet the requirements of the Domestic Building Contracts Act 1995.

In fact, it is a good idea to have a written contract for all building works, regardless of price.

Visit the Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) website for valuable information and advice about domestic building contracts.

Before signing a major domestic building contract, builders must provide consumers with a copy of CAV's Domestic Building Consumer Guide.