The building surveyor can no longer perform their duties
If your building surveyor can no longer perform their duties because they have died or their registration has been cancelled or suspended before your building project is finished, you will need to appoint another building surveyor to complete the project.
You must notify us of your intention to appoint a new building surveyor. You can do this by completing this form:
The conditions for use of the Notice of intention to appoint a new building surveyor form are:
- The form must be completed by the property owner and the new registered building surveyor.
- The form can only be used if your building surveyor is unable to practice because they have died or their registration has been suspended or cancelled.
If these reasons do not apply to you and you would like to change your private building surveyor, please read You want to change your building surveyor.
Send the completed form to:
Victorian Building Authority
GPO Box 536
Melbourne VIC 3001
- A builder cannot complete the form.
- Work cannot progress beyond the next mandatory notification stage of the building permit until a new building surveyor has been appointed and conducted an inspection.
- Once you have appointed a new building surveyor, you must notify your local council of their appointment. The new building surveyor also needs to familiarise themselves with the building work and associated documentation, which the council may be able to help with.
- You will receive confirmation from us within 30 days of receiving your notification.