Becoming an owner-builder

2. Becoming an owner-builder

If the value of your proposed domestic building work is more than $16,000 (including labour costs and materials) you will need to apply for a certificate of consent from the VBA to become an owner-builder.

The certificate of consent enables you to obtain a building permit and carry out domestic building work as an owner-builder on your land.

In deciding whether to issue a certificate, the VBA will consider, amongst other things, whether the applicant:

  • intends to live in the property upon completion of the building work;
  • owns or co-owns land for which a building permit has been granted in respect of an owner-builder project in the past 5 years; and
  • has the prescribed knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of an owner-builder.

To apply for a certificate of consent, you must pay a fee of $102.20. This fee is non-refundable regardless of the outcome of the application.