Frequently Asked Questions

9. Frequently Asked Questions

What is VBA360?

From 31st July 2017, the VBA introduced a fast and simple way to submit your owner-builder application. VBA360 is an online system enabling real-time processing, management and tracking of your owner-builder application.

How do I track my application?

VBA360 allows you to check the progress of your own application.

Login to your VBA360 account to track the status of your application

Different stages include:

  • Allocation: Your application has been received, and is waiting to be assessed.
  • Assessment: Your application is being assessed and considered by an owner builder officer.
  • Recommendation: The owner builder officer has finished assessing your application, and has made their recommendation to the manager.
  • Decision: Your application is with the OB manager and is awaiting their final review. This is the last stage of the application process and means you will have a response soon.

How do I pay?

I'm not comfortable using my credit card to pay for my application. Can I mail you in a cheque or money order? Or can I come in and pay with cash?

VBA understand that not everyone is comfortable entering their credit card details online. It is suggested that you organise a bank debit card, via AUSPOST or your bank, which can be topped up as required.

VBA use a Westpac payment gateway, a secure banking platform which supports all purchases made through VBA360.

Why do I have to select a building project(s) planned category?

The owner builder application form requires the applicant to select the building project(s) planned to be undertaken.  The building projects displayed within the application form are those that are acceptable owner builder projects, and should fit into the category types on display.

If the planned project is not displayed on the form, it could be that this project is not an acceptable project for an owner builder – for example, demolition work, sub-floor work, building a commercial premise. Or, it could be that the description of work is too specific – for example, it is not necessary to state, "rumpus room", "sewing room", "yoga room" when "Addition to an Existing Home" would describe the project.

What is the difference between an alteration, renovation and an addition?

  • Alteration: A change to the appearance internally and/or externally, the function, or the capacity of the building a decrease in building size.
  • Renovation: Building project involving extensive building work, change of appearance and the like within the footprint of the existing building
  • Addition: An addition to a building to enlarge its covered floor area.

I am registered with the Victorian Building Authority as a domestic builder. Do I still need a certificate of consent?

If you are a registered building practitioner you will have to obtain a certificate of consent to be an owner-builder if you intend to undertake building work (on your own land) that is outside the scope of work authorised for your category or class of registration.

If your registration authorises you to carry out the work you do not require a certificate of consent to be an owner-builder. If you are a registered architect with the Architects Registration Board of Victoria (ARBV), you do not require a certificate of consent to apply for a building permit as an owner-builder.

How do I get a copy of a Certificate of Title/Register Search Statement for my property?

You may contact the Land Titles Office on (03) 8636 2456 or order your Register Search Statement online at The Certificate of Title/Register Search Statement you provide must be dated within 7 days of the date of your application for a certificate of consent.

Note: A transfer of land statement, bank mortgage information or letter from a solicitor is insufficient and will not be accepted.

How long will it take for my application to be processed?

It will take approximately 28 calendar days to process an application for a certificate of consent if all the required information is provided. To assist in the speedy processing of your application, ensure all required documentation is provided at the time you are submitting your application.

How do I determine the cost of the proposed building works?

This is the estimated cost if you were to engage a registered building practitioner, including all labour, materials and GST. Your building surveyor can check your estimated costs for accuracy.

Can more than one family member submit an owner-builder application at the same time, if they intend to build on the one allotment?

You will need to consult with your building surveyor, as a subdivision on the land may apply in this instance.

How do I obtain a Construction Induction card in Victoria?

Construction Induction training must be completed with a Registered Training Organization (RTO).

Contact WorkSafe Victoria to find out which registered training organisations are recognised.

Is the Construction Induction Training – Statement of Attainment evidence of a White Card?

No. The Victorian Building Authority does not accept a Statement of Attainment as evidence. Contact WorkSafe Victoria for training and white card information.

Can I submit the interstate construction induction card that is recognised by WorkSafe Victoria?

The VBA will accept a current Construction Induction card issued by an equivalent Worksafe counterpart.

For information related Registered Training organizations, that are recognized by Worksafe Victoria please contact Worksafe Victoria.

The VBA will not accept a Construction Induction card issued before 1 July 2008.

What happens if my application is refused?

If the VBA does not issue you with a Certificate of Consent to act as an owner-builder, it means your application was refused because it failed to meet all or part of the requirements in Section 25 of the Building Act 1993.

You have the right to appeal this decision directly at the Victorian Civil Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) within 60 days from the date of the decision letter.  For more information, visit VCAT's website.

How long does a certificate of consent last?

A certificate of consent is valid for:

  • 12 months from the date of issue; or
  • If a building permit is obtained, until the permit lapses.