Plumbing for consumers

The plumbing industry in Victoria is regulated by the Victorian Building Authority. The VBA’s purpose is to promote plumbing practices that protect the safety and health of you, the consumer.

On this page you will find important information about plumbing practitioners and the categories of work they are permitted carry out in Victoria. You can also find out if your plumber is licensed or registered with the VBA.

What you need to know about plumbing practitioners

To do any plumbing work in Victoria, a plumbing practitioner must be:

  • Licensed by the Victorian Building Authority or
  • Registered by the VBA (or have provisional registration) and working under the supervision of a licensed plumber or
  • In training under the supervision of a licensed plumber.

Make sure you engage a licensed or registered practitioner when you want plumbing work carried out.

All registered and licensed plumbers are issued with a Photo ID card that lists the type of work they are eligible to do. All practitioners should carry this ID and you can request to see it at any time.You can also check if a plumber is licensed or registered online, using the VBA directory – Find a Practitioner.

PIC licence samplePIC rego sample

How is a registered plumber different to a licensed plumber?

  • Only a licensed plumber can issue a compliance certificate to certify that their work complies with the relevant plumbing standards, codes and regulations.
  • A licensed plumber must hold insurance that protects you in case of any defective plumbing work.
  • A licensed plumber has a higher standard of knowledge and experience than a plumber who is registered or in training.
  • A licensed plumber may supervise other plumbers (registered or licensed) or plumbing apprentices in the same class of plumbing work in which they hold a licence.

When should a plumber give you a compliance certificate?

A compliance certificate is issued by a licensed plumber to certify the work they do complies with the relevant plumbing standards, codes and regulations.

In Victoria, compliance certificates must be issued upon completion of certain types of plumbing work.

Your plumber must provide you with a signed compliance certificate within five days of the plumbing work being completed. Your plumber must also lodge details of the compliance certificate with the VBA within that timeframe.

What are the regulated areas of plumbing work?

A plumbing practitioner needs to be registered or licensed in each class of plumbing work that they intend to do.

Victoria’s Plumbing Regulations 2018 define ten main classes of plumbing work:

  1. Drainage
  2. Fire Protection
  3. Gasfitting
  4. Irrigation (Non-agricultural)
  5. Mechanical Services
  6. Refrigerated Air-conditioning
  7. Roofing (Stormwater)
  8. Sanitary
  9. Type B Gasfitting
  10. Water Supply

Plus five specialised classes:

  1. Type A Appliance Servicing
  2. Type A Appliance Conversion
  3. Type B Gasfitting Advanced
  4. Backflow Prevention
  5. Thermostatic Mixing Valve – commencing 18 November 2019

For more information about the type of work plumbing practitioners can carry out, visit the practitioners section of the website.