The VBA is the regulator of the Building and Plumbing Industry in Victoria and does not offer a dispute resolution service.

The Domestic Building Dispute Resolution Victoria (DBDRV) is a free government service designed to help building owners and builders resolve their domestic (residential) building disputes. Visit their website for more information, eligibility criteria and to lodge a dispute resolution application.

Note that before you apply, you must first try to resolve the dispute directly with the other party. DBDRV will also expect that you are clear on the issues in dispute.

You cannot make an application to the Victorian Administrative and Civil Tribunal (VCAT) unless you have already attempted to resolve the dispute through DBDRV.

If you need to talk to someone, you may contact the Building Information Line on 1300 55 75 59 between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday (except public holidays).