VBA Actions for the week ending Friday, 12 April 2019
Friday, 12 April 2019
- One Immediate Suspension and Show Cause Notice was issued for alleged breaches of the Building Act and Building Regulations, including failing to carry out work in a competent manner and to a professional standard.
- A home owner in Werribee was prosecuted for the illegal construction of a pergola and some roofing. The illegal works were removed. Costs were awarded against the home owner.
- A Geelong-based company was prosecuted for not having the authority to carry out building works. The company was made to donate $2500 to charity and pay costs.
- A pool owner in Dromana was placed on a 12-month good behaviour bond for failing to comply with a building order regarding a pool.
- A Dandenong couple failed to comply with a building order to undertake minor works. They were placed on 12-month good behaviour bond and ordered to pay costs.
Show Cause Notices
- Two show cause notices for alleged breaches of the Building Act and Domestic Building Contracts Act were issued.
Notices of Decision
- A commercial builder was fined $15,000, reprimanded and required to complete training for breaches of the Building Act and Domestic Building Contracts Act.
- A building surveyor was fined $1100 for one breach of the Building Act.
Permit Levy Audits
- Site visits to a Registered Building Surveyor: 1
- Permit Levy Audits completed: 3
- 219 inspections in 25 municipalities.
- 4 building orders for minor works issued.