VBA Actions for the week ending Friday, 30 August 2019
- Two Show Cause Notices issued for alleged breaches of the Building Act and the Domestic Building Contracts Act.
- Four warning letters issued.
- Nine site visits to train building surveyors, which concludes 230 such training sessions performed since May 2019.
Four matters were heard in the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria.
- Two matters were adjourned.
- One matter resulted in a fine of $1250.
- One matter resulted in the accused being placed on a good behaviour bond until 20 December 2019, with the condition that the building work they commenced is finished before that date.
- The VBA attended two compulsory conferences at VCAT.
- A registered building practitioner sought a stay application from VCAT against the immediate suspension of his registration.
- An Administrative Appeals Tribunal hearing against a VBA decision to grant registration was adjourned, so additional information could be provided.
- 199 inspections across 28 municipalities.
- No orders issued.
- Audits: 117
- Re-audits: 27
- Inspections: 23
- Re-inspections: 5
Statewide Cladding Audit
- 20 inspections were completed, five within the City of Melbourne and 15 in other municipalities.
- 10 expert panels were conducted. From these, two buildings were rated extreme risk, four were rated high risk and four were rated moderate.
- 17 inspections are scheduled for the week commencing Monday, 2 September 2019.