VBA Actions for the week ending Friday, 6 September 2019
- Two Show Cause Notices issued for alleged breaches of the Building Act and the Domestic Building Contracts Act.
- Two Notices of Decision issued for alleged breaches of the Building Act and the Domestic Building Contracts Act.
- One warning letter issued.
- One educational letter issued.
- Four site visits to train building surveyors.
- Five matters were heard in the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria. Two were finalised by way of fines.
- The County Court of Victoria handed down its decision in the Corkman Hotel appeal.
Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal matters
- One matter was finalised (Faine v VBA – VCAT ref. Z376/2018).
- Four administrative mentions were held.
- Three directions hearings were held.
Building Appeals Board matters
Two hearings were conducted before the BAB.
- One related to an application to terminate a relevant building surveyor and replace them.
- The other related to an application dealing with a building that had cladding attached to it.
Both matters were finalised. The BAB will hand down its decisions in due course.
Administrative Appeals Tribunal matters
- One administrative mention was held.
- One directions hearing was held (via telephone).
- 207 inspections across 26 municipalities.
- No orders issued.
- Audits: 232
- Re-audits: 32
- Inspections: 33
- Re-inspections: 2
Statewide Cladding Audit
- 20 inspections were completed, five within the City of Melbourne and 15 in other municipalities.
- Four expert panels were conducted. From these, one building was rated high risk and three were rated moderate.
- 18 inspections are scheduled for the week commencing Monday, 9 September 2019.