Product recall: Recreational vehicle water heaters
The recalled appliances were manufactured between 4 April 2018 and 1 August 2019 because the flange securing the burner heat exchanger tube was not appropriately formed.
The defective appliances may emit carbon monoxide into the caravan or motorhome, potentially causing serious illness, injury or death.
What appliances are affected?
Caravan and motorhome owners should immediately stop operating the gas on Suburban water heaters with the following model and serial numbers:
- SW6PA, SW6DEA, SW6DA, SW4DEA, SW4DA, SW4DECA and SW6DECA
- Serial numbers between 181315552 and 193002648 (some serial numbers may end with a ‘D’) and between 8183311827 and 8190201139.
Testing and replacement
Anyone with affected Suburban water heaters should contact Coast RV’s dedicated recall hotline on 02 9645 7685 for further information and to arrange an inspection.
Coast RV will arrange for a licensed gasfitter to inspect your water heater. They will:
- Ensure the flange is fully formed and the appliance is installed correctly.
- Replace water heaters that do not have a fully formed flange. If the water heater is not properly installed, it will need to be remedied by a licensed gasfitter to ensure proper installation.
- Complete a combustion test and replace the water heater (if it fails) with a Suburban Nautilus instantaneous (gas only) water heater or an equivalent competitive model.
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm in all caravans and motorhomes that have been inspected, tested and passed.
Coast RV Pty Ltd will cover costs relating to the supply and installation of a new water heater and any associated work.
Last updated: 29 July 2020