Plumbing Industry Alert: Gas Consumer Piping
Recently, the VBA has seen multiple occurrences where the installation of underground plastic and multilayer gas consumer piping is not compliant with AS/NZS 5601.1:2013.
Licensed plumbers must install the gas consumer piping with adequate depth, separation, protection, and identification to reduce of risk of damage. Non-compliance poses a safety risk and rectification of this non-compliant work is costly.
Please note the following extracts necessary for compliance with AS/NZS 5601.1:2013:
Trafficable areas 450mm,non-trafficable and rock areas 300mm.
Marker tape complying with the requirements of AS/NZS 2648.1 shall be laid above plastic and multilayer consumer piping when installed in an open-cut trench.
The separation between any underground consumer piping and any service, including other consumer piping:
- 100mm for consumer piping not exceeding 65mm nominal size.
- 300mm for consumer piping exceeding 65mm nominal size.
The separation between any underground consumer piping and a communication cable shall be at least 100mm
Any underground consumer piping crossing any other service shall:
- cross at an angle of not less than 45 degrees.
- have a vertical separation of not less than 100mm.
- Protection, bedding and backfill
Bedding material and backfill shall be:
- of a type and grade which will not have an adverse effect on the pipe or pipe coating.
- within 75mm of the pipe, be free of stones or other materials which could damage the pipe or coating.