AS/NZS 5601.1 Gas Installations - Part 1: General installations
Standards Australia published a new edition of AS/NZS 5601.1: 2022 Gas Installations - Part 1: General installations on 30 September 2022, replacing the current 2013 edition.
These changes are aimed at improving consumer safety and clarifying aspects of gasfitting work.
The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) and Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) are providing gasfitters with a six-month transition period from the date of publication of the standard. Gasfitters can choose to use the revised standard during the transition period.
The transition period will allow industry time to familiarise itself with the changes.
VBA and ESV have developed educational material to support industry transition to the new standard, promote compliance and deliver positive outcomes for Victorians.
From 30 March 2023, it will be a requirement for gasfitters to comply with the requirements of the 2022 edition of AS/NZS 5601.1 for any relevant gasfitting work.
After that point, the VBA will enforce compliance with the new standard using existing VBA enforcement tools, such as rectification notices.
If you have questions about the changes, please contact the VBA on 1300 815 127 or email us.
- Read the Standards Alert – Publication of AS/NZS 5601.1: 2022 (PDF, 224.08 KB)
- Watch ESV’s AS/NZS 5601.1: 2022 Amendments video, presented during industry webinars in June and July 2022
- Read ESV’s FAQs on AS/NZS 5601.1: 2022
- Watch ESV’s refreshed Commercial Kitchen Gas installations video – updated to cover new requirements under 5601.1: 2022
- Read Gas Information Sheet 25: Domestic gas cooking appliance overhead clearances
- Read Gas Information Sheet 65: Isolation for gas installations in educational institutions
- Read ESV’s industry guidance on Transitional arrangement for adoption of AS/NZS 5601.1: 2022