Crane and people on site

Domestic Builder

Domestic building work is work associated with the construction, renovation, improvement, or maintenance of a home. There are 30 classes of domestic building work.

A person  registered as Domestic Builder Unlimited is responsible for carrying out, managing and arranging all components of domestic building work.

A person registered in a Domestic Builder Limited class can only do certain types of domestic building work, like carpentry or glazing.


Do you have the skills, knowledge, and experience to apply for registration as a domestic builder? There are different qualifications and experience requirements for registration in each class of domestic building work.

To see what skills and experience is required, go to What is domestic building work?

Application forms

Please follow the instructions carefully. Our application process changes from time to time.

To apply for registration as a Domestic Builder, you'll need to complete an online application form:

  • To start a new application, log in to VBA and start a new application from the “Registration and licensing” page.
  • To continue an application, log in to VBA and find your draft application on the “Registration and licensing” page.

Technical references

To apply for registration as a Domestic Builder you will need to provide a technical reference confirming your experience – you may need to provide more than one technical reference. Your referees must be Domestic Builders registered in the same class or a class higher than the one you’re applying for.

All referees will each need to complete and sign a Technical Referee Form for the class you’re applying for. Make sure you use the correct form – as using the incorrect form will result in delays to your application: