Type A Appliance Conversion
What is Type A Appliance Conversion work?
Get to know the regulation
Under Part 5 of the Plumbing Regulations 2018, Type A Appliance Conversion work is the adjusting or altering of a Type A appliance to operate on a different gas from:
- the gas that the appliance was originally manufactured to use; or
- the gas that the appliance had been previously converted to use.
Typical Type A Appliance Conversion work
Gas appliances can vary in size, operating pressure and complexity. They range from small domestic gas space heaters to large industrial steam boilers or industrial furnaces. Victoria’s Gas Safety Act 1997 defines gas appliances as either Type A or Type B.
Gasfitting work with these two appliance types differs in nature, complexity and risk. For this reason, gasfitters need to be qualified for, and experienced with, the type of appliance on which they are working. Experienced Type A gasfitting plumbers typically undertake gas conversions of domestic and light commercial appliances (such as cookers, space heaters, water heaters, catering equipment and leisure appliances).
What do Type A Appliance Conversion plumbers need to know and do?
Type A gasfitters need critical knowledge and skills to ensure the health and safety of the community. What does this mean for you?
As a registered practitioner, you must be able to understand and apply the compliance requirements of Type A Appliance Conversion work. These requirements include AS/NZS 5601.1: Gas Installations.
To undertake Type A Appliance Conversion work to a safe and competent standard, you must also be able to:
- read a site or building plan and identify gas lines and appropriate locations and clearances
- adjust or alter a Type A appliance to operate on a different gas from the gas that the appliance was originally manufactured
- adjust or alter a Type A appliance to operate on a different gas from the gas that the appliance had been previously converted to use
- understand the difference between Type A and Type B gas appliances.
What competencies and experience do you need?
To be eligible to apply for registration in Type A Appliance Conversion, you must:
- Already be registered or licenced in the class of Gasfitting work, and
- Have successfully completed the unit of competency: Service Type A appliances (CPCPGS4022A or CPCPGS4022), and
- Successfully completed the VBA's examination for this class.
To be eligible to apply for licencing in Type A Appliance Conversion, you must already be:
- Licensed in the class of Gasfitting work, and
- Registered in this class.