Type B Gasfitting
What is Type B Gasfitting work?
Get to know the regulation
Under Part 4 of the Plumbing Regulations 2018, Type B Gasfitting work is:
- the construction, installation, servicing, maintenance, commissioning, replacement or repair of a single Type B appliance of an energy input greater than 10 MJ/h and less than 5000 MJ/h between the connection to the gas isolating valve adjacent to the appliance and any flue connection; and
- the commissioning, construction, installation, servicing and maintenance of a steam boiler or thermal fluid heater of input less than 20 000 MJ/h that forms part of an integrated industrial process between the gas isolating valve adjacent to the appliance and any flue connection, including the repair and replacement of gas components in that appliance.
Type B Gasfitting work does not include:
- the adjustment of input parameters on a programmable burner management system associated with a Type B appliance
- the commissioning of a Type B appliance in the absence of manufacturer-supplied commissioning data
- any work on a Type B appliance where the appliance is associated with volatile solvents or hazardous atmospheres
- any work on a component of a Type B appliance which is not involved in the supply of gas, use of gas or control of gas related hazards
- the positioning of a Type B appliance except where it involves a connection to the gas isolating valve; or
- electrical work within the meaning of the Electrical Safety Act 1998 that is not involved in the supply of gas, use of gas, or control of gas related hazards
Typical Type B Gasfitting work
Gas appliances can vary in size, operating pressure and complexity, ranging from small domestic gas space heaters to large industrial steam boilers or industrial furnaces. Victoria's Gas Safety Act 1997 defines gas appliances as either Type A or Type B. Gasfitting work with these two types differs in nature, complexity and risk. For this reason, gasfitters need to be qualified for and experienced with the type of appliance with which they are working.
Experienced gasfitting plumbers typically do the following work with Type B appliances:
- analysing and interpreting design specifications for Type B gas appliances
- installing and testing Type B gas appliances and components, including undertaking gas and electrical safety checks, and completing and recording isolation procedures
- installing and commissioning Type B gas appliances and components that use LPG, natural gas, combination fuels or tempered liquefied petroleum gas
- testing flue gases
- servicing Type B gas appliances
- repairing or replacing Type B gas appliances according to manufacturer specifications.
What do Type B Gasfitting plumbers need to know and do?
Type B Gasfitters need critical knowledge and skills to ensure the health and safety of the community. What does this mean for you?
As a registered practitioner, you must be able to understand and apply the compliance requirements of Type B Gasfitting work.
These requirements include:
- AS 2593 Boilers – Safety management and supervision systems
- AS3814 Industrial and commercial gas-fired appliances
- AS/NZS 5601.1 Gas Installations
- AS/NZS 3000 Electrical Installations
- AS/NZS 4836 Safe working on low- voltage electrical installations
- the gas certification scheme for approved gas appliances and products
- clearance requirements specified in the relevant Australian Standard and manufacturer specifications.
To undertake Type B Gasfitting work to a safe and competent standard, you must also be able to:
- read a site or building plan and identify gas lines and appropriate locations and clearances for installing Type B gas appliances
- read, interpret and apply manufacturer specifications for installing Type B gas appliances
- identify and calculate ventilation requirements when installing Type B gas appliances
- understand the difference between Type A and Type B gas appliances
- undertake restricted electrical works under an existing Restricted Electrical Worker's Licence (previously Disconnect/Reconnect Worker's Licence).
What competencies and experience do you need?
To be eligible to apply for registration in Type B Gasfitting work, you must:
- Hold a certificate III plumbing or electrical work, plus
- A Restricted Electrical Workers Licence (REL) or higher, plus
- Have successfully completed the unit of competency: Install, commission and service Type B gas appliances (CPCPGS4023B or CPCPGS4023), plus
- Be able to demonstrate at least two years practical experience in Type B Gasfitting work that is obtained:
- Under a provisional registration in Type B Gasfitting work, and
- under the supervision of a plumber who is licensed in Type B Gasfitting work, and
- Completed the VBA’s examination for this class.
To be eligible to apply for licensing in Type B Gasfitting work, you must:
- Already be registered in this class
- Be able to demonstrate a four years practical experience Type B Gasfitting work where at least two years of that experience was obtained:
- under a provisional registration in Type B gasfitting work; and
- under the supervision of a plumber who is licensed in Type B gasfitting work, and:
- You have successfully completed the prescribed units of competency for licencsing.