Crane and people on site

Mutual recognition for building practitioners

The Mutual Recognition Act 1992 permits people holding a registration, licence, permit or authorisation to carry out building work in another Australian state or territory or in New Zealand to apply for a registration to undertake that work in Victoria.

Similarly, if you are looking to work outside Victoria, you may apply for mutual recognition of your Victorian registration in other Australian states or territories, or in New Zealand.

You must have a current equivalent interstate or New Zealand registration, licence, permit or authorisation to apply for registration as a building practitioner in Victoria via the Mutual Recognition scheme.


The assessment of equivalency under the Mutual Recognition Act 1992 considers the broader activities undertaken by the occupation. It acknowledges that the activities of an occupation may still be considered equivalent when there are legislative differences between jurisdictions.

Start your application

Save and complete the following form on your computer (do not handwrite; it will take longer to process). The application form includes a checklist on the front page to assist you with the process.

You must not make any written or oral statement to the VBA in relation to an application for registration (or for the renewal of registration) that you know, or should reasonably know, is false.

Submit your application

Sign and submit a hard copy of your completed Mutual Recognition Application Form, plus certified copies of your interstate or New Zealand registration, licence, permit or authorisation. Find out who can certify documents.

By mail:

Victorian Building Authority
GPO Box 536
Melbourne VIC 3001

In person:

Victorian Building Authority
Goods Shed North
733 Bourke Street
Docklands 3008

Fee Exemption

As a transitional measure, the VBA will exempt mutual recognition application fees where the person cannot participate in the AMR scheme due to the AMR exemption in place until 1 July 2024. This is for interstate building practitioners who have an occupation that is exempt from ADR in Victoria and who intend to work in Victoria for up to 6 months.

This exemption will be reviewed at the end of the AMR exemption period, 30 June 2024.

The fee exemption will be automatically applied to eligible mutual recognition applications.

Practitioners from the following jurisdictions are not eligible for mutual recognition fee exemption:

  • Queensland: as it is a state not participating in the AMR scheme
  • New Zealand: applicants from New Zealand apply under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997 and are not eligible to participate in the automatic mutual recognition scheme (AMR)