Crane and people on site

Commercial Builder

A registered Commercial Builder is responsible for managing and arranging the carrying out of all components of building work for the construction of commercial buildings and structures. These include class 2–9 buildings and structures, and class 10b buildings not associated with a domestic building, as classified by the Building Code of Australia.

You can apply to register as a Commercial Builder (Unlimited), or there are 10 limited classes of commercial building work. A person registered in a limited commercial builder class will be limited to certain types of work, such as low-rise building work, waterproofing, non-structural fit-outs or the installation of blinds and awnings.

For a complete list of the limited commercial builder classes, see What is commercial building work?


Do you have the skills, knowledge and experience to apply for registration as a building practitioner in commercial building work? To find out, see: What is commercial building work?

Application forms

You will need to complete two forms - a Registration Application form and a Technical Referee Report. Find the forms relevant to your class below.

Forms should be saved to your computer. Open them in Acrobat Reader, type in the requested details (do not handwrite; it will take longer for us to process) and then print and sign.

There's a chart on the first page listing what is needed and outlining the application process. Completion of a separate Experience Statement is no longer required.

Commercial Builder (Unlimited) or
Commercial Builder (Limited to low-rise work) or
Commercial Builder (Limited to medium-rise work)

Download and complete the Registration Form and Technical Referee Report below.

Commercial Builder Limited – classes limited to components of commercial building work

We have introduced new application forms for these classes. Completion of a separate Experience Statement is no longer required.

Download and complete the relevant Registration Form and Technical Referee Report below.

If you are in a partnership

There are specific requirements for partnership applications. To find out more go to Partnerships.