Registration and licensing FAQs

Please speak with the VBA. Call 1300 815 127 or email

Your experience must relate to the class or specialised class of plumbing work in which you seek registration. Only include your relevant plumbing industry experience in your application form.

Every supporting document that you submit with your application must be certified as a true copy of an original.

A certified copy means a document that has been certified as a true copy of an original by a person listed in schedule 2 of the Statutory Declarations Regulations 1993 (Cwlth). Find out who can certify a document for you (PDF, 213.23 KB).

To have a document correctly certified:

  • Photocopy the original document.
  • Take both the original and the photocopy to an authorised person. Find out who can certify documents (PDF, 213.23 KB) (PDF, 213.23 KB).
  • Ask the authorised person to do the following on every page:
    • write "I have sighted the original document and certify this to be a true copy of the original."
    • write their name
    • sign each statement.

Contact the VBA on 1300 815 127. We may be able to help you locate your past employer/supervisor.

No. If you are not already licensed in a class or specialised class of plumbing work, then you will not need to provide proof that you are covered by the required insurance at the time that you lodge your application.

But, if we decide to grant your application, then you will need to provide proof of your insurance. We will contact you to ask for this.

If you are already licensed in a class or specialised class of plumbing work, and you are applying to be licensed in another class, we will not require further insurance evidence before adding the additional class to your licence – unless the additional class is Type B gasfitting.

Insurance requirements for Type B gasfitting are contained in a different ministerial order. So, if you are applying for registration in an additional class that is Type B gasfitting, your insurance certificate of currency will need to be adjusted to cover both ministerial orders.

We recommend that you advise your insurer to make sure that you have met your disclosure obligations.

Any information that we receive in your application becomes the property of the VBA. So please send us only (certified) copies of your documents. Do not send the originals.

To be eligible to hold a Private Plumbing Work Licence:

  • you must be licensed in at least one main or specialised class of plumbing work, and
  • you must be covered by insurance that indemnifies you for specific liabilities.

If you meet these two requirements, and you want to perform plumbing work only in your own home or that of a family member, then the VBA may grant you a Private Plumbing Work Licence.

Private plumbing work means plumbing work that meets the following four requirements:

  • work to which s221ZH of the Building Act 1993 applies
  • no monetary fee or other consideration is charged or received by the plumber or on the plumber's behalf for the work
  • it is performed on or in relation to a family home
  • it is one of not more than six plumbing works performed by the plumber in a 12 month period.

Family home means:

  • a home in which the plumber has a proprietary interest and in which the plumber resides as his or her permanent residence, or
  • a home in which a member of the plumber's family has a proprietary interest, and in which that family member resides as their permanent residence.

A member of the plumber's family means a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, sibling, cousin, niece or nephew of the plumber, or a parent or sibling of the plumber's spouse.

If you hold a Private Plumbing Work Licence, we will charge you a lower annual renewal fee and will sell you compliance certificates at a reduced price. Only a limited number of compliance certificates are available for purchase each year.

Learning your application status

When we receive your application for registration or licence, we will send a letter to advise you of what happens next.

You may apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for a review of the VBA's decision on your application to be registered or licensed if you are dissatisfied with it. For information about how to apply to VCAT for a review of the VBA's decision, go to, or contact VCAT by telephone on (03) 9628 9755.


For up-to-date fees, check the Plumbing fees page.

For up-to-date fees, check the Plumbing fees page.

For up-to-date fees, check the Plumbing fees page.

English as a second language

Yes - if you require an interpreter, please let us know.