New power to immediately suspend plumbers’ licences or registrations
These changes will help hold plumbers that pose a serious risk to the public accountable for their actions.
Plumbers can be immediately suspended if:
- their work or the work of others under the plumber’s control poses a serious risk to neighbouring properties
- their work or the work of others under the plumber’s control poses a risk to the health and safety of persons
- they have been the subject of multiple adverse disciplinary actions by the VBA.
Pending an inquiry, the VBA may suspend any licence or registration held by the plumber that relates to the conduct depending on the matter at hand.
These changes will allow the VBA to act swiftly, to help keep plumbers, other building practitioners and the Victorian public safe.
This is one of several key reforms being made as part of the Building and Environment Protection Legislation Amendment Act 2020 (BEPLA Act):
- Section 31 of the BEPLA Act will insert new section 221ZZZFA into the Building Act 1993 to create the power to immediately suspend the licence or registration of a plumber if it is in the interests of the public to do so.
- Section 32 of the BEPLA Act will insert new sections 221ZZZKA and 221ZZZKB into the Building Act to give notice to plumbers of a cancellation or suspension of a licence or registration, and to set out the consequences of a suspension of a licence or registration.
Plumbers will be required to give notice of a decision to cancel or suspend their licence or registration to anyone they have a contract with to carry out plumbing work.