Type B Gasfitting Advanced
What is Type B Gasfitting Advanced work?
Get to know the regulation
Under Part 5 of the Plumbing Regulations 2018, Type B Gasfitting advanced work is the construction, installation, servicing, maintenance and commissioning of a Type B appliance of an energy input greater than 10 MJ/h between the connection to the gas isolating valve adjacent to the appliance and any flue connection and includes:
- the repair, replacement, alteration or modification of the burner and associated safety system
- the commissioning of a new, existing or modified gas burner system
- the adjustment of input parameters on a programmable burner management system associated with a Type B appliance
- the commissioning of a Type B appliance in the absence of manufacturer-supplied commissioning data
- any work on a Type B appliance where the appliance is associated with volatile solvents or hazardous atmospheres; and
- any design work that is incidental to, or associated with, any work described in this subregulation.
Type B Gasfitting Advanced work does not include:
- any work on a component of a Type B appliance which is not involved in the supply of gas, use of gas or control of gas related hazards
- the positioning of a Type B appliance except where it involves a connection to the gas isolating valve; or
- electrical work within the meaning of the Electrical Safety Act 1998 that is not involved in the supply of gas, use of gas or control of gas related hazards
Typical Type B Gasfitting Advanced work
Gas appliances can vary in size, operating pressure and complexity, ranging from small domestic gas space heaters to large industrial steam boilers or industrial furnaces. Victoria's Gas Safety Act 1997 defines gas appliances as either Type A or Type B.
Gasfitting work with these two types differs in nature, complexity and risk. For this reason, gasfitters need to be qualified for and experienced with the type of appliance with which they are working.
Experienced Type B Gasfitting Advanced plumbers typically do the following work with Type B appliances:
- analysing and interpreting design specifications for Type B gas appliances
- installing and testing Type B gas appliances and components, including undertaking gas and electrical safety checks, and completing and recording isolation procedures
- installing and commissioning Type B gas appliances and components that use LPG, natural gas, combination fuels or tempered liquefied petroleum gas
- testing flue gases
- servicing Type B gas appliances
- repairing or replacing Type B gas appliances according to manufacturer specifications
- repairing, replacing, altering or modifying Type B gas appliances and any associated safety systems
- ensuring Type B gas appliances operate safely and efficiently, accounting for all other plant and equipment and any associated manufacturing processes
- determining any design alteration work and/or modifications to Type B gas appliances comply with the relevant regulator’s requirements.
What do Type B Gasfitting Advanced plumbers need to know and do?
Type B Gasfitting Advanced practitioners need critical knowledge and skills to ensure the health and safety of the community. What does this mean for you?
As a registered practitioner, you must be able to understand and apply the compliance requirements of Type B Gasfitting work. These requirements include:
- AS 2593 Boilers – Safety management and supervision systems
- AS 3814 Industrial and commercial gas-fired appliances
- AS/NZS 5601.1 Gas Installations
- AS/NZS 3000 Electrical Installations
- AS/NZS 4836 Safe working on low-voltage electrical installations
- the gas certification scheme for approved gas appliances and products
- clearance requirements specified in the relevant Australian Standard and manufacturer specifications.
To undertake Type B Gasfitting Advanced work to a safe and competent standard, you must also be able to:
- read a site or building plan and identify gas lines and appropriate locations and clearances for installing Type B gas appliances
- read, interpret and apply manufacturer specifications for installing Type B gas appliances
- size pipes for different installation jobs
- identify and calculate ventilation requirements when installing Type B gas appliances
- understand the difference between Type A and Type B gas appliances
- undertake restricted electrical works under an existing Restricted Electrical Worker's Licence (previously Disconnect/Reconnect Worker's Licence).
What competencies and experience do you need?
To be registered in Type B Gasfitting Advanced work you must already be registered in Type B Gasfitting work.
You will also need to demonstrate that you hold relevant knowledge and experience to demonstrate that you can undertake the scope of work safely and competently. The VBA will assess your knowledge and experience by interviewing you and requiring you to successfully complete a written examination.
Units of competency for Type B Gasfitting Advanced servicing work
- No units gazetted.
- Establish legal and risk management requirements of small business (BSBSMB401A)
- Carry out work based risk control processes (CPCPCM4011A)
- Estimate and cost work (CPCPCM4012A)
- No class specific units gazetted.