Building practitioner registrations

Building practitioners working in Victoria need to be registered with the Victorian Building Authority (VBA). Building practitioners include builders, building inspectors, quantity surveyors, building surveyors, engineers, draftspeople, project managers of building projects and erectors or supervisors of temporary structures.

For domestic building work, you must be registered as a building practitioner with the VBA to:

  • perform domestic building work that costs more than $10,000 (including labour and materials)
  • provide more than one type of building work (such as plastering and painting) that costs more than $10,000 (including labour and materials).

To find out about registering a company as a building practitioner, go to Building companies.

Registration information seminars

The VBA runs registration information seminars on becoming a registered builder. We recommend that you attend one before submitting your application. You can find upcoming seminars and book into them via our Events page.

Categories of building practitioner

The Building Regulations 2018 defines eight categories of building practitioner:

  1. Building Surveyor
  2. Building Inspector – including Building inspector (pool safety)
  3. Quantity Surveyor
  4. Engineer
  5. Draftsperson
  6. Person responsible for a building project: Project Manager (Domestic)
  7. Erector or Supervisor (Temporary structures)
  8. Builder:

Click on the links above to find out more about the registration requirements and begin your application.

Become registered

The registration process varies across categories. The following diagram outlines the broad process:

The building registration process: Your industry qualifications; Project work evidence; Technical referee report; Police check and declarations; Authorise payment and submit.

Please provide:

Please provide: Your industry qualifications; Project work evidence; Technical referee report; Police check, photo ID and declarations; Authorise payment and submit

The application fee varies according to the category you are apply for. You can find the relevant application fee on the Building fees page.

VBA will:

VBA will: Review your application; Assess your knowledge and experience; Conduct a reference check; Make a decision on your application; Notify you of the outcome.

After you submit your application, we will review it. If your application is incomplete or we need further information from you, we may:

  • call you to provide additional information
  • return your application to you.

VBA exam

For some categories of registration, you are required to sit a VBA exam.

If you need to undertake an exam, we will contact you to schedule the exam and advise the exam fee. For exam costs see the Building fees page.

Builder insurance

Before we can grant registration, we require evidence that you have insurance or are eligible to purchase insurance. We will let you know during the application process when you need to supply this.

You can find more information about insurance on the Building insurance requirements page.

You must not make any written or oral statement to the VBA in relation to an application for registration (or for the renewal of registration) that you know, or should reasonably know, is false.

Application outcome

If you provide us with all required information in your application for registration, you can expect a decision about your application to be made within 8 to 12 weeks. If you need to provide us with further information, it will take longer for us to process your application.

Once the decision regarding the application is made, we will notify you of the outcome in writing.

If your application is successful

You will be registered for up to five years and your details will be added to the VBA's Find a practitioner building register.

We will send you a registration card. If you already hold registration in another building class, you will be issued with an updated card.

If you are unsuccessful

We will notify you in writing and outline the reasons why your application was unsuccessful.

You may reapply at a later date. In your subsequent application, you will need to demonstrate that you have addressed the gaps that caused your previous application to be refused.

You have the right to appeal the decision by requesting an internal review.

If you are dissatisfied with the VBA's decision on your registration application, you may apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for a review of the decision. For more information, visit the VCAT website or call VCAT on (03) 9628 9755.

What happens if you're not registered

Individuals and companies who are found to be unlawfully engaging in regulated building work can be liable for hefty fines, and we can prosecute people who falsely represent to the public that they are registered.