Complaints, compliance and enforcement
A key function of the VBA is to supervise and monitor the conduct and ability of registered building practitioners to practise. This ensures compliance with the Building Act 1993 (the Act) and associated legislation. In turn, this helps ensure the safety and wellbeing of Victorians.
We adopt an evidence-based approach to its compliance and enforcement activity.
In this section you’ll find information on:
- our Proactive Inspection Program
- what happens when a complaint is made about a building practitioner
- the VBA disciplinary process called a show cause process
- the immediate suspension of a practitioner’s registration
- enforceable undertakings, which are a possible alternative to disciplinary action
- prosecution, when the VBA issues criminal charges
- the suspension or cancellation of registration based on capacity to practise
- our Disciplinary Register.