Crane and people on site

Building practitioner registration

The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) is the regulator for building activity in Victoria and is responsible for the registration of building practitioners.

Becoming a registered building practitioner

Registration information webinars

The VBA runs registration information webinars on becoming a registered building practitioner. We recommend that you attend one before submitting your application. You can find upcoming webinars and book into one via our Events page.

Categories of building practitioner

The Building Regulations 2018 define eight categories of building practitioner in Victoria. Each category has specific requirements for:

  • when you must be registered with the VBA
  • the registration classes under each category
  • the work that registered building practitioners can lawfully undertake for each class.

To learn about a category and begin an application, click on the relevant link below.

  1. Building Surveyor
  2. Building Inspector – including Building inspector (pool safety)
  3. Quantity Surveyor
  4. Draftsperson
  5. Person responsible for a building project: Project Manager (Domestic)
  6. Erector or Supervisor (Temporary structures)
  7. Builder:

Become registered

The registration process varies across categories. The following diagram outlines the broad process:

The building registration process: Your industry qualifications; Project work evidence; Technical referee report; Police check and declarations; Authorise payment and submit.

Application form

You will need to fill in an application form. You can download the form from the web page for the relevant building practitioner class.

Please note that the application forms were updated on 28 July 2020, and any applications submitted from that date must be on the new forms. If you use old application forms, it will delay the progress of your application.

Please provide:

Please provide: Your industry qualifications; Project work evidence; Technical referee report; Police check, photo ID and declarations; Authorise payment and submit

The application fee varies according to the category you are apply for. You can find the relevant application fee on the Building fees page.

The VBA will:

VBA will: Review your application; Assess your knowledge and experience; Conduct a reference check; Make a decision on your application; Notify you of the outcome.

After you submit your application, we will review it. If your application is incomplete or we need further information from you, we may:

  • call you to provide additional information
  • return your application to you.

Fit and proper person

When assessing an application, we need to be satisfied that the applicant is fit and proper to become a registered building practitioner. This includes any partners the applicant may have as part of their business structure.

We establish if someone is fit and proper by:

  • asking you to complete a declaration as part of your application process
  • requiring a police check
  • asking you to complete an External Administration Declaration form if you were a director, secretary or influential person for a company that was in external administration at any time within two years before the company went into external administration.

To find out more go to Fit and proper person – external administration.

VBA Assessment

You may be asked to sit a VBA assessment. The type of assessments will vary according to the registration class you are applying for. There are three types of assessments that you may be required to attend:

1. Written test
2. Computer based test
3. Interview

We will advise you if you are required to take part in an assessment.

Builder insurance

Before we can grant registration, we require evidence that you have insurance or are eligible to purchase insurance. We will let you know during the application process when you need to supply this.

You can find more information about insurance on the Building insurance requirements page.

You must not make any written or oral statement to the VBA in relation to an application for registration (or for the renewal of registration) that you know, or should reasonably know, is false.

Application outcome

If you provide us with all required information in your application for registration, you can expect a decision about your application to be made within 8 to 12 weeks. If you need to provide us with further information, it will take longer for us to process your application.

Once the decision regarding the application is made, we will notify you of the outcome in writing.

If your application is successful

You will be registered for up to five years and your details will be added to the VBA's Find a practitioner building register.

We will send you a registration card. If you already hold registration in another building class, you will be issued with an updated card.

If you are unsuccessful

We will notify you in writing and outline the reasons why your application was unsuccessful.

You may reapply at a later date. In your subsequent application, you will need to demonstrate that you have addressed the gaps that caused your previous application to be refused.

You have the right to appeal the decision by requesting an internal review.

If you are dissatisfied with the VBA's decision on your registration application, you may apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for a review of the decision. For more information, visit the VCAT website or call VCAT on (03) 9628 9755.

Building companies

To find out about registering a company with the VBA, go to Building companies.

What happens if you’re not registered

Individuals and companies who are found to be unlawfully engaging in regulated building work can be liable for hefty fines, and we can prosecute people who falsely represent to the public that they are registered.