Crane and people on site

Builder registration FAQs

Answers to frequently asked questions about building registration.

Experience and qualifications

No. The Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) is not a prescribed qualification under the Building Regulations 2018, nor is it recognised as an equivalent qualification under the Building Act 1993.

If you want to register as a Domestic builder, then your course must be prescribed and accredited under the Education and Training Reform Act 2006. This requirement applies to a diploma, associated diploma or degree in Building and Construction (Building).

The VBA may consider another qualification either alone or together with any further certificate, authority, experience or examination equivalent to a prescribed qualification.

If your qualification is not prescribed or accepted as an equivalent qualification (such as the Certificate IV), we will consider it as part of its broader assessment of your knowledge and experience.

For more information about the prescribed registration qualifications and equivalent qualifications, please see the guide What is Domestic building work? or call the VBA on 1300 815 127.

Your experience must show you have been involved in the entire scope of work covered by the category/class in which you are applying for registration.

The majority, if not all, of your experience must be full time and must show you have been supervised by a registered practitioner.

English as a second language

Yes - if you require an interpreter, please let us know.

Partnerships and companies

From 1 July 2018, if an applicant for registration carries out business, or intends to carry out business, as a building practitioner or as a member of a partnership, then each member of the partnership (whether registered as a building practitioner or not) is required to satisfy the personal and financial probity requirements of registration.

Each member of the partnership must complete and submit a partner’s declaration. In addition, each partner must submit a national police check via our online service provider and if they have been insolvent under administration or an officer of a company that was in external administration, they will be required to complete and External Administration Declaration form.

For the VBA to grant registration to a company or natural person carrying out business as a partnership, we must be satisfied that each partner is a fit and proper person in regard to the personal and financial probity requirements set out in section 171D and section 171E of the Building Act 1993.

Fore more information, see Partnerships and Fit and proper person – external administration.

Other questions

The VBA can issue you with a replacement building practitioner certificate, provided you pay the appropriate fee and we are satisfied that your original certificate has been damaged, destroyed or lost.

Please complete a Request for a Duplicate Building Practitioner Certificate (PDF, 210 KB) form and submit it to the VBA.

If you want your company to be issued a replacement building practitioner certificate, please complete and submit to the VBA a Request for a Duplicate Building Practitioner Certificate for Company Registration (PDF, 373.54 KB) form.