Residents, occupants, owners corporations and building managers of multistorey buildings should use the below fire safety resources as a guide to help reduce the risk of fire.
Fire safety tips
- Ensure smoke alarms are not covered or disconnected.
- Keep fire doors clear, closed and unlocked at all times.
- Remove rubbish, clutter and flammable items from balconies and keep furniture away from exterior walls.
- Ensure your barbecue is at least 50 cm away from walls, clothing, and other materials.
- Store gas bottles outside, upright, and away from heat sources.
- Isolate AC units and ensure clothing and other materials are kept at least 1 metre away.
- Smokers, fully extinguish your cigarette in a heavy, high-sided ashtray made of glass, ceramic, or metal.
- Keep a dry-powder fire extinguisher easily accessible. Use only in case of a small fire and if you feel able.
- Make sure you know your building's evacuation plan.
Essential safety measures
Essential safety measures are specific safety features in a building which are designed to protect occupants in the event of a fire. They commonly include fire detection and alarm systems, fire doors, emergency lighting and fire hydrants. Visit our Essential Safety Measures page to learn more about maintenance and compliance requirements.
Who should I speak to about a fire safety concern?
Excluding a fire emergency, these authorities should be contacted in the following order when reporting a fire safety issue:
- Owners corporation or rental manager
- Your local council
- Fire services.
If you still have concerns, contact us on 1300 815 127.
- Fire safety for balconies in an FRV area (PDF, 865.67 KB)
- Fire safety for balconies in a CFA area
- Fire safety in apartment buildings in a CFA area
- General fire safety tips (PDF, 775.59 KB)
- High Rise Fire Safety Part 1
- Plus High Rise Fire Safety Part 2
- Gas safety: visit Energy Safe Victoria.
Fire safety actions poster
- English (PDF, 304.31 KB)
- (العربية) – Arabic (PDF, 236 KB)
- (中文简体 （国语）) – Chinese (Simplified) (PDF, 347.75 KB)
- (中文繁體（粵語）) – Chinese (Traditional) (PDF, 367.47 KB)
- (Filipino/Tagalog) – Filipino/Tagalog (PDF, 267.3 KB)
- (Ελληνικά) – Greek (PDF, 249.45 KB)
- (हिन्दी) – Hindi (PDF, 402.78 KB)
- (Italiano) – Italian (PDF, 275.07 KB)
- (فارسی) – Persian (PDF, 270.26 KB)
- (ਪੰਜਾਬੀ) – Punjabi (PDF, 376.02 KB)
- (Tiếng Việt) – Vietnamese (PDF, 284.06 KB)