Home renovation and building essentials
Carrying out building work can be an exciting and satisfying process. However, if you are doing any building or renovating work on your home, it is important to be informed about the building process.
There are laws and regulations you need to be aware of if you are doing domestic building work – for example, those covered by the Domestic Building Contracts Act 1995, Domestic Building Contract Regulations 2017, Building Act 1993 and the Building Regulations 2018.
If your home was built before 1990, it is likely to contain asbestos. There are laws around who can remove and dispose of asbestos. To find out more, visit: asbestos.vic.gov.au
Explore this section to find out all the essential information about the building and renovating process:
- Engaging a builder
- Engaging a plumber
- Planning and building permits
- Appointing a building surveyor
- Ending the employment of a private building surveyor
- Landscaping – including decks, verandahs, walls, fences and paving.
- Plumbing compliance certificates
- Building contracts
- Insurance for building and plumbing works
- Protecting adjoining properties
- Energy efficiency requirements
- At the end of your building project