Type A Appliance Servicing

What is Type A Appliance Servicing work?

Get to know the regulation

Under Part 5 of the Plumbing Regulations 2018, Type A Appliance Servicing work is the internal cleaning, maintenance and adjusting of a Type A appliance and includes the adjustment, repair or replacement of a component of the Type A appliance.

Applicants applying for this class must be registered or licenced in the class of Gasfitting work.

Typical Type A Appliance Servicing work

Type A gasfitting plumbing practitioners typically service domestic and commercial Type A gas appliances, such as cookers, space heaters, water heaters, and leisure appliances.

This class does not authorise you to work on Type B gas appliances.

As a registered practitioner in this class, you must understand and apply the compliance requirements of Type A Appliance Servicing work.

These requirements include the compliance requirements for the parent class of Gasfitting work, plus:

To undertake Type A Appliance Servicing work to a safe and competent standard, you must also be able to:

  • Read a site or building plan and identify gas lines and appropriate locations and clearances for Type A gas appliances.
  • Read, interpret and apply manufacturer specifications for servicing Type A gas appliances.
  • Size pipes correctly for different installation jobs. Identify and calculate ventilation requirements.
  • Understand the difference between Type A and Type B gas appliances. Complete a combustion spillage test prior to returning the appliance to service.
  • Clean, maintain and adjust Type A appliances. Adjust, repair or replace a Type A appliance component. Create and lodge records of servicing work to the required standard.

What do you need to become registered or licenced in this class?


To be eligible to register in this class, you must:

  • Be registered or licenced in the class of Gasfitting work.
  • Have successfully completed the unit Service Type A appliances (CPCPGS4022A or CPCPGS4022).
  • Successfully complete the VBA exam for this class.


To be eligible to become licenced in this class, you must be:

  • Licenced in the class of Gasfitting work.
  • Eligible to hold or currently hold registration in this class.

How to apply

Apply for registration in a specialised or restricted class