Registered building inspectors perform an important role in monitoring building standards in Victoria. They carry out inspections of building work on behalf of the relevant building surveyor.
There are two classes in which you can apply to register:
- Building inspector (limited)
- Building inspector (unlimited)
Do you have the skills, knowledge and experience to apply for registration as a building inspector? To learn more, read the guide to registration: What is Building Inspection work?
Start your application
Save and complete the following relevant forms on your computer (do not handwrite; it will take longer to process). The application form includes a checklist on the front page to assist you with the process.
If you are in a partnership
Each partner of the partnership applying for registration must complete a separate Partner’s Declaration (PDF, 304.76 KB).
Experience statements and Technical referee reports
You must complete and submit both an Experience statement and a Technical referee report for every category you seek to be registered in.
Building inspector (limited) – up to 500 m2
- Experience Statement – Building Inspector (Limited) – Class 1 (PDF, 1858.7 KB)
- Technical Referee Report – Building Inspector (Limited) – Class 1 (PDF, 1148.08 KB)
Building inspector (limited) – up to 2000 m2
- Experience Statement – Building Inspector (Limited) – Class 2
- Technical Referee Report – Building Inspector (Limited) – Class 2