The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) regulates building and plumbing practitioners to ensure the achievement of efficient and competitive building and plumbing industries in Victoria.
Our services include:
- responding to general enquiries from the public about the building and plumbing industries
- registering, licensing and disciplining plumbers in Victoria
- registering and disciplining building practitioners
- issuing owner-builder certificates of consent
- providing expert technical advice and informed solutions to industry
- undertaking inspections, investigations and audits to enforce compliance with relevant legislation
- working with other agencies and regulators to ensure building and plumbing practitioners are compliant and that consumers are protected
- publishing data for building and plumbing practitioners
- monitoring the collection of building permit levies
- overseeing the work of building surveyors and Victoria's building permit system.
To find out more about our functions under the Building Act 1993 and the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 2002, see Building regulatory framework.
Our vision is supported by three public value outcomes, which describe the positive impact we are committed to deliver for Victoria.
Safe and resilient buildings
- Communities and assets are safe, inclusive, resilient and sustainable.
- Lives and livelihoods are protected and secure through best-practice regulation.
- Victoria’s built environments are well designed and built to last.
Communities reach their potential
- The building industry’s contribution towards social and economic recovery is maximised.
- Consumers and industry are empowered to build safely and invest confidently.
- Quality of life for all Victorians is protected for current and future generations.
A confident and thriving industry
- The building industry is active and well-regulated, and attracts a skilled, vibrant and diverse workforce.
- Industry innovation and excellence is supported and celebrated.
- Consumers have confidence in an accountable and compliant industry that acts with integrity.
These public value outcomes underpin our strategic objectives and priorities over the next five years.