The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) regulates building and plumbing practitioners to ensure the achievement of efficient and competitive building and plumbing industries in Victoria.
Our services include:
- responding to general enquiries from the public about the building and plumbing industries
- registering, licensing and disciplining plumbers in Victoria
- registering and disciplining building practitioners
- issuing owner-builder certificates of consent
- providing expert technical advice and informed solutions to industry
- undertaking inspections, investigations and audits to enforce compliance with relevant legislation
- working with other agencies and regulators to ensure building and plumbing practitioners are compliant and that consumers are protected
- publishing data for building and plumbing practitioners
- monitoring the collection of building permit levies
- overseeing the work of building surveyors and Victoria's building permit system.
To find out more about our functions under the Building Act 1993 and the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 2002, see Building regulatory framework.
The VBA's vision is for:
- A trusted regulator
- A respected industry
- An informed community.
The VBA's mission is:
- Regulating for a quality built environment in Victoria.
The VBA will achieve its vision through the following strategic objectives:
- Protect our community
- Empower industry, practitioners and consumers
- Respond to risks and concerns
- Influence industry and key decision-makers
- Improve our culture and capability